Wednesday, 28 July 2010

Dundee College of Education

The papers of the Dundee College of Education have recently been fully catalogued and are now available for use. The collection comprises over 9 linear metres of records and includes a plethora of materials ranging from minute books, prospectuses, reports and plans to student records, graduation materials and a considerable number of photographs.

The College was established in 1906 after the St Andrews Provincial Committee, one of four Committees within Scotland charged with the responsibility for teacher training, decided Dundee was a suitable site for a new teacher training facility. The picture below shows a drama class from the early 20th century.

The newly established College originally shared facilities with Dundee’s Technical Institute which had premises on Small’s Wynd. Accommodation for the opening roll of 136 students was arranged thanks to support from local Churches. Six years later the College acquired Mayfield House to provide accommodation for its female students although this was subsequently extended to provide accommodation for both sexes. Such were the College’s successes and such was the demand for College places that larger and more purpose built premises were urgently needed. After considering locations at Belmont, Small’s Lane and Friarbank, a site at Park Place was identified for expansion. Although the foundation stone for this new site was laid in 1912, it was not until October 1920 that the premises was finally occupied, the formal opening being performed in 1921 by Her Grace, the Duchess of Atholl.

The College celebrated its Jubilee in 1956 and in 1975 moved to new premises in Gardyne Road, West Ferry, with the buildings at Park Place being taken over by Dundee University. The Scrymgeour Building (pictured), the traditional premises of the College in Park Place, was subsequently occupied by the Faculty of Law in 1978, which continues to occupy the site today. In 1987 the College merged with Aberdeen College of Education to form the Northern College of Education, but in 2001 the two colleges again split and each became part of its neighbouring University.

In 2007, 101 years after it was first founded, the Dundee College of Education relocated to a new home on the main campus to form part of the University's School of Education, Social Work & Community Education.

The Dundee College of Education catalogue can be accessed online here and the collection can be consulted in the search room.
For more information, please contact archives@dundee.ac.uk

No comments:

Post a comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.